Sunday, April 09, 2006

Broadcast: 4 Feb 2006

"You have to remember that he is a writer: that is, someone who loses their words precisely..."
- from an obituary for Jacques Derrida, by Judith Butler

In dharamsala a young tibetan boy walks in front of me with a backpack bearing the words "down & out". At a bus stand in north-east thailand another boy's t-shirt bears the incredibly powerful yet limitlessly open phrase "we are". and now the sweet language chaos of japan - `tough military`, `bard jail` and the wonderful `never stop exploding` which resolved itself a few minutes later into `never stop exploring` ...


"If you take your deepest questions into the core of your being, into your very blood and marrow, one day, quite naturally, you will understand the connection between thought and action. I am not speaking of discursive thought, but of taking your deepest questions into your very soul, of engaging your emotions, your dreams, and all of your experiences, the things most difficult to express in words and concepts..." (Thich Nhat Hanh - 'Fragrant Palm Leaves')

for many years, whenever i close my eyes, there has been a fourteenth century zen monk walking in my imagination. I say 'fourteenth century' but that's just my way of naming him: what i really mean is something immeasurable and precise. I dont know whether he is past, present or future. I dont even know whether he is 'me' or not, which in itself is the most beautiful thing. He's always walking, he never speaks, and i love him so much. For me this is what 'koan' means.

got to keep this short - in japan and moving fast - tomorrow off to zen temple - but here:s an essay (attached below) i wrote for cornerhouse, the art gallery i worked at 20 years ago and celebrating its 20th anniversary.

hope you enjoy.

Shenyen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home